Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, March 23, 2012

Ways to Make Brown Rice Taste Delicious


***Cook brown rice with a beef or chicken broth and parsley, garlic powder and seasonings to make a good flavor. Before serving put some soy sauce or a1 sauce in it and blend.
***Add sauteed garlic, lemon juice, minced onions, cilantro and a bit of olive oil....oh, and tomatoes...
***Instead of using plain water to cook, use a chicken or vegetable broth.
Use olive oil instead of butter. Butter and brown rice is weird and makes it go rancid easier.
***What I do with rice usually is to fry the uncooked grains with a spray of oil and onions and then pour stock in it and cook it in that. Gives it some more flavor I find...
******An idea a friend gave me that is awesome and reasonable calorie wise is add 1/2 cup corn black bean salsa, about 4 blue Aztec chips and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese to a cup of rice. It is amazing!
********My kids love to add popcorn seasonings to their brown rice. Kernel Seasons and Land O Lakes make different flavors- sharp cheddar, white cheddar, parmesan garlic, etc. Also try cooking it in low sodium chicken or veggie broth or using low sodium soy sauce.

*****Different seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, anything to add whatever type of flavors that you like! Mrs. Dash makes great salt free seasonings also!
*****Adding vegetables is good. And definitely broth or bouillon cubes enhance it. We often cook it ahead and then add to casseroles, like maybe Spanish rice: Cooked rice, sauteed peppers, canned diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne or hot peppers to taste, and maybe leftover chicken or lean beef or pork, plus any other vegetables you think will work, such as celery, zucchini, canned black beans, etc. Then top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly and starting to brown.
******With any kind of rice, I like adding a handful of sweetcorn and a handful of frozen peas a few minutes before the end of the cooking time. Or some lightly sauteed mushrooms and peppers stirred through. They both work for me.
****** tried uncle bens brown rice and didn't like it because it was plain and dry and I had to add salsa and lite sour cream, then I made California brown rice and I liked it so much that I ate it plain?? I guess just try some different brands, I like a little garlic and I can't believe its not butter spray.
****I cook mine with water, and mix salsa into it.
*****I like to use a rice cooker and use a cup and a half of water for ever cup of rice. Now it will come out a little soft. That is ok. Then you put the warm rice in a bowl with some Cinnamon and sweetener and a little milk. I like to use soy milk. It's just like a nice oatmeal.

******Add Coconut Milk to it


No comments: